As we welcome the New Year with open arms, it is time to look forward to the top food and drink trends of the year. With the increasing influence of technology and conscious consumerism, 2020 is the year of innovation and sustainability in the food and beverage industry. Here are the top 10 food and drink trends for 2020 to keep an eye on:
1. Plant-based meat alternatives: As veganism and vegetarianism continue to gain popularity, the demand for plant-based meat alternatives is on the rise. Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are leading the revolution with their tasty and juicy meat substitutes.
2. Non-alcoholic beverages: With health and wellness being the buzzwords of the decade, non-alcoholic beverages are the trending drinks of 2020. From alcohol-free spirits to CBD-infused drinks, brands like Seedlip and Recess are gaining traction among consumers who are looking for clean, natural and healthy beverages.
3. Immune-boosting ingredients: Consumers are increasingly interested in ingredients that can improve their health and wellness. Turmeric, ginger, garlic, Manuka honey, and probiotics are some of the ingredients that can boost the immune system and that will be popular in 2020.
4. Sustainability: Consumers are becoming more aware of their carbon footprint and are looking for eco-friendly products. From biodegradable packaging to sourcing ingredients locally, sustainability is a critical trend of the year.
5. Regional and ethnic cuisine: With the world becoming more connected, the demand for unique flavors and dishes from different regions and ethnicities is growing. Korean, Indian, and Middle Eastern cuisine are some of the most popular ethnic options.
6. Low-waste cooking: Also known as “root-to-stem” cooking, this trend makes use of all parts of the ingredient, including the parts that are typically discarded. By reducing food waste, this trend can be both tasty and environmentally friendly.
7. CBD-infused foods and drinks: Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive compound that is gaining worldwide recognition for its potential health benefits, such as relieving anxiety, chronic pain and improving sleep. Brands like Aurora Elixirs and Willie’s Remedy are creating CBD-infused drinks that are expected to make a splash in 2020.
8. Gut-friendly foods: Good gut health is crucial for overall well-being, and consumers are becoming more aware of this. Fermented foods like kimchi, kefir, and kombucha are examples of trendy gut-friendly foods that consumers are looking for.
9. Customizable meals: With the rise of personalized nutrition, customizable meals are the new norm. Brands like Sweetgreen and Chipotle are allowing consumers to build their own meals, choosing their protein, vegetables, and toppings.
10. A shift away from single-use plastic: With consumers looking for more sustainable practices, 2020 may be the year that single-use plastic becomes a thing of the past. As the world moves toward more eco-friendly options, reusable containers, and bottles will continue to gain popularity.
The food and beverage industry is a dynamic and ever-evolving space, and these trends are just a snapshot of what’s to come in 2020. With the constant push for innovation, sustainability, and health-consciousness, we can expect to see many exciting and delicious trends in the year ahead.